Saturday, December 3, 2011

a big leap... for love and happiness


March 11, 2011; I flew in to Iloilo from Davao City with my son in tow.
Took the early morning flight and it was both our first time visit to the place although it was just a stop-over as we were en-route to Roxas City which was actually our main destination. We just had to make the stop-over because there aren’t any flights straight to Roxas City from Davao City.   The very minute we landed, I already had a feeling that this was going to be a beautiful trip.  I found the airport to be very clean and organized; with staff wearing a ready smile.  My little one had a grand time strolling around and going back and forth the empty hallway along the arrival area as we waited for my cousins.

The supposed 10-15 days trip turned to a month, two months and It's been almost 9 months since and we are staying for good. It's basically been an easy transition.  There is the obvious difference in the dialect that the people speak and that which I speak but this didn't bother me at all.   There are 2 local dialects spoken by the majority.  One is Capiznon which is concentrated in the province of Capiz and the other is Hiligaynon, often referred to as Ilonggo which is also concentrated in the provinces of the Panay Island group, including Antique, Aklan, Guimaras, and in many parts of Mindanao.

What struck me as inspiring was the simplicity of the entire city.  Peaceful, I would say. Everything seems a stone's throw away; well that's really very obvious for me since I live in the center of the city. I am just a 5 minute walk away to practically everything; the market, pharmacy, grocery store, hospital, schools, church and you name it.







What better way to start familiarizing myself to the place than visit the most important places and since we are just a few walks away from the market; my cousin and I started our early morning journey through "Lipunan" as how they call their market. Wow, it was a good sight seeing vendors with their goods lined almost to the center of the road.  They're allowed to occupy the roads early in the morning.  I was told that they can stay there for just a specific time and have to vacate the place at a certain time.  You'll have a grand feast choosing what to buy; from fish of all sorts to vegetables and fruits of all sorts as well. As usual; like in other Philippines markets, you can haggle the price. It would be wise to bring with you enough cash because am pretty sure you'll go home heavy with your purchases. I am very happy with the idea of enjoying more trips to the market and enjoying the simple life in Roxas City.  

No comments:

Post a Comment